MediaWiki is a powerful PHP-based wiki engine developed to handle high volumes of traffic
Originally written for Wikipedia, this free, open-source script uses wikitext format in lieu of the complex HTML or CSS editing. It has a simple but customizable style sheet, and functionality can be made more advanced through extensions.
Performance and scalability are optimized to handle massive platforms with extremely high traffic rates (like hundreds of thousands of visits per day).
Who uses MediaWiki?
MediaWiki has been supporting high-traffic sites such as public wikis (wiki encyclopedias) as well as large companies and government-supported websites.
- Easy Navigation
- Editing, Formatting, and Referencing
- Look and feel change
- File uploading
- Multilanguage support
- User Management
- Easy to contribute without much training
- Manage and find content
- Customizable to your preferences
- Content management and sharing
- UTF-8 support allows one piece of software to author for all languages
- Access and security control
- Share your site info
Browse this page for MediaWiki feature list.
A closer look at MediaWiki
Editing a page by using the Semantic Forms extension
Photo credit: Wikipedia
Websites using MediaWiki
About 121,000 live websites are using MediaWiki, and 80+ sites are from Australia. (source: BuiltWith.com)
A sample of websites that run on MediaWiki:
- Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- wikiHow (wikihow.com)
- Intel (intel.com)
- Metapedia (metapedia.org)
- Diplopedia (used by the U.S. Dept. of State, read info here)
- Download MediaWiki (current stable version is 1.30.0)
- Web servers such as Apache or IIS
- Local or command line access is needed for running maintenance scripts
- PHP version 5.5.9 or later
- Database Server, one of the following:
Getting started with MediaWiki
Install MediaWiki app on Hosting Cloud via the One Click Application Installer.
You can download the app from its official website, too. Be sure to check the installation guide first.
Category: Wiki / CMS
Initial release: 2002
Language: PHP / MySQL
Dev/s: Wikimedia Foundation
License: GNU GPLv2