X-Cart is a commercial, open source shopping cart solution that comes with two e-commerce platforms and a built-in marketplace of add-ons
The X-Cart 4 (Classic) and X-Cart 5 are both PHP-based, 100% PCI-DSS compliant, and feature-rich. They include a template editor, WYSIWYG text labels editor, and CMS capabilities.
However, X-Cart 5 has an edge over the classic version for its more advanced functionality. This includes customization panel, store upgrades, platform maintenance & development, marketing & sales, and SEO tools.
Who uses X-Cart?
Both X-Cart platforms have been powering a wide range of e-commerce websites, including automobiles, electronics, clothing, fitness equipment, and antiques.
- Excellent cost of ownership
- Open source PHP code
- Smart and hassle-free performance
- Fast & Secure
- Great community support
- Sell anything – products, services, even downloads
- Unlimited products and categories
- Integration with all popular payment gateways and shipping carriers
- Sell everywhere – multiple currencies and languages
- Fully customizable design
- Marketing tools including coupons, banners and more
- Mobile Ready and Free Skins
- Fully compliant with payment data security standards
- Even sell via Facebook with f‑Commerce GO
- Built-in fully adaptive Ideal Responsive template
- Cross-Browser, Multi-Platform
- Online demonstration of skins bundled with X-Cart
- Authorization via social profiles (Facebook, Google, etc)
- Catalog Management Features
- Shipping & Tax
- Marketing & Search
- Multiple payment options
- Administration features
See the difference between X-Cart 4 and X-Cart 5 features here.
A closer look at X-Cart
X-Cart 5.3.4 is the latest release.
Find out how this software works first hand, go to the demo page.
Websites using X-Cart
There are 11,000+ live websites using X-Cart, and about 570 sites are located in Australia. (source: BuiltWith.com)
A sample of X-Cart-powered online businesses:
- Pitimana (pitimana.fr)
- Affordable Designs Canada (adcleeann.com)
- Pearls Only (pearlsonly.com)
- Collectibles Of The Game (collectiblesofthegame.com)
- Corvette Store (corvettestoreonline.com)
- PHP 5.4 or higher
- PDO extension with MySQL driver
- Phar extension
- mbstring extension is highly recommended (though X-Cart has a polyfill for it, native extension will speed up string processing)
- MySQL 5.1.31 or higher. You can also use MySQL-compatible database engine MariaDB.
- 200-300Mb of disk space
- libCURL module support (minimum required CURL version is 7.39.0; version 7.43.0 is recommended)
post_max_sizeset to 2M+ and larger than the
upload_max_filesizevalue (critical for installation)
upload_max_filesizeset to 2M or higher
magic_quotes_runtimedisabled (for PHP versions prior to 5.4.x)
memory_limitset to 128M or higher (if you are using 64-bit processors in your server environment, the
memory_limit valuemust be 256M or higher)
- GDLib 2.0 or ImageMagick (recommended for proper image resizing routines)
- PHP time limit properly set according to your server config
- mod_rewrite-like components to enable proper work of SEO-friendly URLs
- if xdebug is enabled,
xdebug.max_nesting_levelmust be set to 300
- if OPcache is enabled,
opcache.load_commentsmust be true (set to “1”). Any other cachers should not strip comments from the code too.
Getting started with X-Cart
Get the X-Cart software through Hosting Cloud via the One Click Application Installer.
The software is also downloadable directly from X-Cart website. Installation tutorial is provided.
Initial release: 2001
Dev/s: Creative Technologies LLC
License: Proprietary software
Price: Free edition, $495 (Business), $1,495 (Multivendor), $5,995 (Ultimate)